Sunday, September 30, 2007

Jermain Taylor vs Kelly Pavlik

I can't say that I thought this was a good fight, but I can admit that I was wrong about the outcome. I really thought that Taylor would win. In fact Taylor was on the road to a win. I had Taylor up 58-55. I think Taylor would have probably pulled out round 7 as well. However; Pavlik kept coming forward throwing punches and finally landed the big right hand to hurt Taylor. All that was left was the finish. Even if Pavlik hadn't landed the win, I was not really impressed with Taylor. I think his bad intentions have become uncertain intentions. He doesn't seem to have the confidence that he had when he took The Executioner Bernard Hopkins out.

Pavlik should move forward and take one anyone and everyone in the Middle category. I would like to see him take on Winky Wright and KO him. It's time for Winky to grab some canvas. That would make one of his fights exciting for a change.

I would like to see Taylor move up to Super Middle and take on some of the lesser guys and then go for Calzaghe. Taylor needs some work before trying out Calzaghe.

BTW, Taylor looked awful after the fight. His face was a complete mess. His cheek bones looked like he had little airbags installed. Those airbags were pumped to the max and then some. If his jaw wasn't broken, it missed a good chance.

Now what about Andre Berto and David Estrada? That was a great fight. Maybe a little one sided but who doesn't like to see someone get the living daylights beat out of them. The good part is that Estrada didn't know he was getting whipped.

I was really impressed with Berto's power, speed, strategy, and awesome body shots. Actually, the only way this fight could have been better for Berto would have been a massive body blow to put Estrada down. I had my fingers crossed but it wasn't in the cards. I guess if I can't have my body blow KO, I'll take some great uppercuts! Berto setup his KO with an awesome uppercut. This fight was a match between a boxer with power and a brawler who ran out of gas! Great fight, thanks Berto!

No comments: