Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Contender - Smith vs. Banks

It's here and I'm watching live. Well maybe semi-live. I have a DVR with my DishNetwork subscription so I can tape a little and skip through the commercials. A

First round looks really good. Both look tight on defense and Banks is shooting counter shots. Smith got in a right hook that was the punch of the round. However; that was about the only shot that Smith really landed. Round goes to Banks for defense, aggressiveness, body work, and good counter work. Finally I'm seeing some talent on this show and I think Smith will come out for the second round a little more organized.

Second round: Smith with a nice overhand right. He keeps trying to land it again but missing. There it is, found it's mark. Oops, he tried it again and Banks was ready with a big counter that wobbles Smith. Man, that was right on the chin! I think Smith did a little too much head hunting and got caught. Banks has quit on his body shots. Close round but I give it to Banks.

Third Round: Banks is keeping his left hand down inviting another Smith overhand right. Banks is also stepping in and ducking just asking for an uppercut. I don't think Smith has it in him to do though. Bad round for Banks so I have to give it to Smith. I'm not impressed with Smith.

Fourth Round: Big left hook from Smith to wobble Banks. Banks goes for the clinch. Big right by Banks. McGrit pushing Banks to go forward and back up Smith. Banks looks tired. Smith is simply head hunting and throwing the big loopers that I just don't like to watch. Round to Smith.

Fifth Round: Banks left glove is down around his waist still. Smith jabbing. McGrit still yelling for Banks to go forward. Lots of action at the end of the round but it appears that Banks is throwing some good shots. I give this round to Banks.

My score: 48-47 Banks
Contender score: Split decision for Smith (48-47 S, 49-46 B, 48-47 S)

Conclusion: Banks appeared to tire in the 3rd round and slipped from his game plan. What happened to all the body shots, and counters? Maybe Smith just took it out of Banks with his power. This was my favorite Contender fight of the season. Both fighters showed more talent than all the other fighters we've seen so far.

Smith is medically disqualified rather than getting booted by the power rankings. He had a cut on the bridge of his nose.

Codrington, Bika, Soliman, and Johnsen are the final four and in the semi-finals. Codrington will fight Johnsen and Bika will fight Soliman.

No comments: